The Financial and Consumer Services Commission (FCNB) is committed to respecting privacy and protecting personal information. We collect, use and disclose personal information, including personal information collected through our website, according to the Right to Information and Protection of Privacy Act; the Financial and Consumer Services Commission Act; financial and consumer services legislation administered by the FCNB; and our internal policies, directives and procedures.
Collection of Personal Information
Personal information is information that can be used to identify a specific individual. It could include an individual’s name, home address, personal email address or phone number.
FCNB collects personal information under the authority of the Financial and Consumer Services Commission Act and financial and consumer services legislation. FCNB limits its collection of personal information to that which is needed to provide you with the services or products you have requested. Collection will only take place with your consent or as otherwise permitted by applicable law.
FCNB does not automatically gather personal information through our website. We do, however, collect personal information from individuals in the following cases:
- when individuals use the Contact Us feature on our website in order to respond to their requests;
- when individuals file a complaint with FCNB in order to respond to their concerns;
- when applicants apply for job postings;
- when individuals use the Subscribe feature on our website in order to receive emails with information on various topics;
- when we receive requests for information on our voluntary programs and services designed to benefit individuals such as investor education;
- when individuals register for our education and training sessions such as Learning the Ropes;
- when individuals comment on proposed rules published for public comment;
- when individuals apply for a license or registration with FCNB, including those who visit our FCNB Portal and apply for license or registration online; and
- in such other cases as permitted or required by applicable law.
Use and Disclosure of Personal Information
If you do provide FCNB with your personal information, either through our website, or through any other means, it will only be used or disclosed for the following purposes:
- for the purpose of administering financial and consumer services legislation;
- for such other purpose as noted in this privacy statement (see e.g. Links to External Websites, below);
- for such other purpose as you are informed of at the time of collection; or,
- in accordance with the Right to Information and Protection of Privacy Act, or as permitted by applicable law.
Please refer to the FCNB Portal Services User Agreement for additional information about the collection, verification, security and use of personal information submitted through the FCNB Portal.
Collection and Use of Other Information
Other information that may be collected from visitors to our website includes:
- internet Protocol (IP) addresses from computers that access our website;
- date and time the website is accessed;
- pages visited on the website;
- URL of the resource that referred the visitor to the website; and
- content downloaded from the website.
We use a variety of Google Applications, including Google Analytics and Google Calendar, to provide users with relevant information and to enhance their online experience. Through these applications, Google may collect personal and other information, including users’ IP addresses. For additional information on how Google collects and stores personal and non-personal information, please refer to Google’s Privacy Centre and Google’s Privacy FAQ.
You have the option to decline providing personal or other information. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of all the features available on our website and prevent personalized services from being provided.
We protect personal information by incorporating security measures against such risks as unauthorized access, collection, use, disclosure or disposal of personal information. Security measures are integrated into the design and implementation of our day-to-day operating practices as part of our continuing commitment to the protection of personal information.
Data transmitted over the Internet is not guaranteed to be secure. FCNB does not guarantee, warrant or represent that your personal information will be transmitted securely or protected completely against interception, loss, misuse or alteration. We accept no responsibility or liability for any damages that may result if personal information we transmit or that is sent to us through the Internet is intercepted, lost, misused or altered.
Links to External Websites
All questions or comments regarding this Privacy Statement or any of our policies, directives or procedures related to privacy should be addressed to the Privacy Officer at the address below:
Financial and Consumer Services Commission
85 Charlotte Street, Suite 300
Saint John, New Brunswick