Where to Report Fraud

If you have problems with an item or service you purchased, you have the right to complain. Some problems with sellers are also the result of frauds and scams. Use the information below to direct your complaint to the correct organization or government department.

Consumer Fraud:

If you have concerns about individuals or companies in the business of insurance, mortgages, door-to-door sales, real estate sales, collection agencies, or pre-arranged funeral service plans, acting without the proper licence report this to FCNB.


You can send the information to FCNB online through our complaints form, by email, or over the phone (1 866 933-2222).  

If you are unsure where to send your complaint or concern, we will try to direct you appropriately.

Insurance Fraud:

If you have concerns about individuals or companies operating without the proper licence, report this to FCNB.

If you are seeking general information on insurance issues, assistance in finding insurance or advice on dealing with a claim, contact the Consumer Advocate for Insurance .

Investment Fraud:

If you have concerns about insider information or an individual or firm operating without being registered, report these directly to FCNB.

Other organizations that can help:

The Investment Industry Regulatory Organization of Canada (IIROC) IIROC regulates investment dealers and their approved advisers, and trading on equity marketplaces (like the TSX). You can find a list of regulated companies and marketplaces at www.iiroc.ca.

Mutual Fund Dealers Association of Canada (MFDA) The MFDA regulates mutual fund dealers and their salespeople. You can find a list of MFDA dealers at www.mfda.ca.



Do not open emails that are unsolicited or from someone you don’t know.  Spam (and violations that go along with it such as phishing, malware, deceptive marketing, etc.) should be reported through the Spam Reporting Centre.

Telemarketing or Mass Marketing Fraud:

If you have received a telemarketing call about winning prizes such as a cruise, or about a problem with your computer, report these to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.

Financial Abuse:

If you have concerns about theft or financial manipulation, exploitation or abuse, contact your local police or RCMP.  If it involves investments, contact FCNB.

Identity Fraud

If you suspect someone has been using your personal information to carry out fraudulent activities, report these to the Canadian Anti-Fraud Centre.

Online Fraud

If the fraud took place online through Facebook, eBay, Kijiji or a dating website, report it directly to the website. Look for “Report Abuse” or “Report an Ad” on the website.

Telecommunications and Television Services Complaints

If you have a concern, complaint or an unresolved dispute with your telecom provider, contact the Commission for Complaints for Telecom-television Services (CCTS).  CCTS is Canada’s national and independent organization dedicated to resolving customer complaints about phone, wireless, internet and TV services, fairly and free of charge. This can include billing errors, contract disputes, poor service quality and credit reporting activities. To file a complaint online, visit ccts-cprst.ca.


In this section:

2017 © Financial and Consumer Services Commission