Skip to main content

Preventing your property from becoming unclaimed

Here are some tips on how to prevent your monetary property from becoming unclaimed:

  • Recording all security investments and cashing all dividend cheques received.
  • Recording all utility deposits, including telephone, cable and electricity deposits.
  • Preparing a check list of all accounts to be notified when you change your address.
  • Responding to legitimate companies requesting confirmation that you want to keep your account active.
  • If you are changing your name and/or address due to marriage, divorce or other legal action, notifying your:
    • Broker
    • Credit card issuer
    • Employer
    • Life and health insurance contact
    • Mortgage lender
    • Lawyer
    • Accountant and/or investment manager
    • Safe deposit box holder
  • Notifying your business contacts of your address change when you move.
  • Cashing all cheques promptly upon receipt, no matter how small.
  • Leaving a forwarding address with your employer before leaving a job.
  • Checking in with your former employer within six months after leaving a job to ensure you
  • have received all of your paycheques.
  • Having a will. For information on making a will, visit the Public Legal Education and Information Service of New Brunswick.

Until the online searchable tool for New Brunswick’s Unclaimed Property Program has launched, you can track down your unclaimed property by:

  • Visiting the programs of Quebec, Alberta or British Columbia if you previously lived in these provinces. Searches are free.
  • Searching if you lived in the United States. This site is the only official, national source for unclaimed property searches by the states and the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators. Searches are free.
  • Visiting Office of the Superintendent of Bankruptcy – OSB administers unclaimed dividends owed to creditors pursuant to the federal Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act
  • Visiting the Bank of Canada, which administers unclaimed chartered bank balances pursuant to the federal Bank Act
  • Visiting the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA), which has an online tool to search uncashed CRA cheques. 
  • Contacting companies to which you have given utility deposits and not received them back, including telephone, cable and electricity companies. You can find information on how utility deposits are refunded at the links below:
  • Contacting previous employers.
  • Checking with previous business contacts.
  • Checking with brokers and mortgage lenders.
  • Contacting credit card issuers.
  • Checking with your life and health insurance broker.
  • Checking with your lawyer and accountant.
  • Checking on your retirement fund, investments and safe deposit box accounts.